Re: Update: Subtle data corruption of TCP streams

From: David S. Miller (davem@redhat.com)
Date: Sat Mar 25 2000 - 01:14:56 EST

   Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 00:20:12 -0500 (EST)
   From: wietse@PORCUPINE.ORG (Wietse Venema)

   Seems that routers don't do the packet rewriting that I'm observing
   here. It's the domain of bandwith management systems. There are at
   least four players. I got reactions from several.

   Disabling TCP options in the Linux kernel does help, especially
   when you're talking to non-Linux systems.

Some of these bandwidth management boxes have workarounds for
bugs various TCP implementations have had in their TCP timestamp
code. In one instance, a very old version of BSDi will not adjust
the TCP packet length properly for full sized frames when it attaches
the TCP timestamp option. The bandwidth management box attempts
to "fix" this bug when it mangles this packet, but in effect it
corrupts the packet for systems which do not have this bug.

I get very angry when I see magic boxes changing the amount of data
sent per-packet in a TCP session, it breaks all of the carefully
implemented algorithms in TCP to avoid congestion and improve
throughput on lossy links etc.

The people using these boxes are effectively killing the internet.
I can't think of any better way to say it.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@redhat.com