Source Routing

From: Brad Whitehead (whiteheb@fonfon.net)
Date: Fri Mar 24 2000 - 19:03:45 EST

Hi,

        What is the state of support for source routing in linux?

My situation is this: I have two available routes out to the internet. The
branch occurs after several hops. eg. Packets travel the same route for
hops 1, 2 and 3, but then can be routed either through router 4 or 5. I
dont have permission (access) to change the routing tables on any of these
routers. I would like to be able to choose between router 4 or 5
on-the-fly. eg. if router 4 goes down, then I would like to be able to
switch the route to use router 5. The only way I could think of doing this
is a loose source-route to router 5. I looked for several hours trying to
find out how this could be done, with no luck, is this not supported in
linux yet?

The reason I'm posting this to the kernel dev list is; if source routing is
simply not supported yet, I will write support for it, but want to make
sure I'm not just duplicating someone elses work. I have done some network
programming before, but never anything with the linux kernel. Is support
for source routing something that should be coded into the kernel or a
user-space app?

I would like to see implementation of this be as flexible as possible, so
others can use it too :) A simple user-space app to pass requests to
modify a source-routing table is the simplest solution I have thought of.
Should the kernel side be an independant module? Or should source-route
support be a direct part of ipv4?

If anyone has any further ideas (or hints!) please let me know

Thanks,

Brad.