Re: patch: reiserfs for 2.3.49

From: Stephen C. Tweedie (sct@scot.redhat.com)
Date: Tue Mar 21 2000 - 11:45:59 EST

Hi,

On Sat, Mar 18, 2000 at 10:03:53PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:

> > * Fault handling
> >
> > The filesystem must respond cleanly to *all* out-of-memory failures
> > and media EIO errors. The response to ENOMEM may be to spin
> > waiting for memory, and EIO may take the filesystem offline, but in
> > either case when control returns to user space the filesystem must
> > be in a known state in which all resources used by that syscall are
> > released and the filesystem can be unmounted.

> >From my games with ext2-over-nbd, I know ext2 fails this test. Make
> filesystem bigger than partition and watch the hell.

Working correctly in response to operator stupidity is a different thing.
If your data is toasted there's a limit to what can be recovered. But in
this case, did you really end up with something non-unmountable? ext2
should have complained like mad, but it shouldn't have crashed.

> > it, or whatever. There should be no combination of on-disk
> > conditions which should allow fsck to crash, even though some forms
> > of corruption won't let you recover much of any value!
>
> And notice that this is work that never ends... I found new and
> wonderfull way to provoke bug in ext2fsck pretty recently (it's fixed
> now).

Absolutely: these are long-term goals. ext3 development has found
at least two separate bugs in e2fsprogs-1.15, for example (both now
fixed).

--Stephen