Re: PCMCIA broken, many issues

From: Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
Date: Fri Mar 17 2000 - 01:52:36 EST

On Thu, 16 Mar 2000, David Ford wrote:

> on a similar note and perhaps you might know more of the reason, I have two
> Linksys cards, one cardbus one 16bit. Neither of them will negotiate a link
> with: 3com (everything), SynOptics (everything), D-Link (100base FE hub), and
> some TrendNet hubs.

I can't suggest anything with the 16 bit cards, since the NE2000 design
doesn't provide a standard transceiver interface.

With the 10/100 CardBus Tulip card you can use 'mii-diag' to find the status
of the link, force specific media type advertising or link speeds, and do
various diagnostics.
  http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
or
  http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/diag/index.html

> I am willing to do some testing, but do keep in mind that I generally need to
> reboot between card changes and that really bothers me because I can't do any
> other work while I'm testing the pcmcia stuff. The 16bit card uses the ne2k
> driver, the cardbus uses the tulip driver (which doesn't work period in 2.3.99
> now that it's the "tulip" and not the "tulip_cb" from pcmcia).

Donald Becker
Scyld Computing Corporation, becker@scyld.com