Re: network interface still stops after 20 days 7 hours in 2.2.14

From: Christophe Merlet (RedFox) (c.merlet@cc-pau.fr)
Date: Thu Mar 16 2000 - 13:38:16 EST

Wakko Warner writes :

> Would you happen to be using 3c509 cards? I had a machine at work with our
> ISP connection on a 3c509. After about 130 days (I know you said 20, but it
> was 130 for me), the card quit, no incoming, no outgoing. I thought the
> card quit, but I put it in another machine, no problems, so I assume the
> driver quit. ifconfig eth[x] down;ifconfig eth[x] up;<add routes here> and
> everything works... for 5-10 minutes. Unloading the module didn't help.
>
> This may be completely unrelated, but while I was changing HW on that
> machine, another box (up for 131 days) rebooted on me for no reason (it's
> behind a firewall, and the people at the place aren't that good. I also
> noted that nothing appeared in the log. FSCK took it's tole on the box
> too). Is it just a coincidence that the machine that rebooted like that has
> the same 2 nics? (both boxes: 3c905b(eth0) and 3c509(eth1), same mobo, both
> using SMP kernel, the one with the ISP had 1 cpu removed to get around IDE
> lockups. Kernels: 2.2.10 on isp box, 2.2.13 on box that rebooted for no
> reason)

Today I had exactly this problem. This is the third time in about 160
days.
The box that act as a proxy use the 3c59x module with linux 2.2.10.

I just need to made a /etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart and the network
card
rework correctly without having to restart the box. What is the matter ?
Upgrading is a solution ?

--
Christophe Merlet (RedFox)