Re: patch: reiserfs for 2.3.49

From: Manfred Spraul (manfreds@colorfullife.com)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 10:32:39 EST

"Yury Yu. Rupasov" wrote:

> Chris Mason wrote:
> > Hans, I think Alexander has told us exactly what he wants done. He wants
> > us to audit our entire VFS interface, and make sure that we are dealing
> > with boundary conditions, special cases, and normal cases the same way the
> > existing linux filesystems are.

Al,
is Minix maintained? Minix is a tiny filesystem, and it might be simpler
for the reiserfs developers if they could mimic Minix instead of ext2.

> Hello !
>
> I could not find new bugs.
>
> [...]
>
> Reiserfs-3-6-1 for linux-2.3.51 are stable.

The problem is not stability, Al is afraid of intentional attacks again
the filesystem:

e.g multiple thread try to
* create a file, create a directory with the same name.
* unlink a directory, and create an entry in that directory.
* open a file with O_TRUNC, and another thread writes to the file,
perhaps O_APPEND
... [I'm no expert of the VFS, so I don't know which races are possible]

normal stress tests are unable to find such bugs.

[But I didn't read you patch]

--
	Manfred