Re: patch: reiserfs for 2.3.49

From: Chris Mason (mason@suse.com)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 04:56:47 EST

On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, Hans Reiser wrote:

> Alexander Viro wrote:
>
> > I couldn't care less about the speed of your code. Sorry if it sounds
> > rude, but that's it. I _do_ care about the cost of maintaining it during
> > the VFS changes. Sorry, if your idea of recent changes is
> > 2.1.130--2.2.5... See the problem? It means that large sections of code
> > are unmaintained for _long_.
>
> Alexander, if you tell us what you want done when making VFS changes we will do
> it for you. You don't need to take the responsibility for working on reiserfs
> code you dislike if you don't want it. Truly. You can go on using ext2 and
> telling all your friends to use ext2, and when you change VFS just let us know.

Hans, I think Alexander has told us exactly what he wants done. He wants
us to audit our entire VFS interface, and make sure that we are dealing
with boundary conditions, special cases, and normal cases the same way the
existing linux filesystems are. I don't think we need a list from him of
the broken segments, we should be able to find them on our own. This is
not an unreasonable request from him, and we should not treat it as one.

Once we fix what we can find, we'll send the patch in again, and hopefully
the people on linux-kernel and fs-devel audit the code again. This is
exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for, and it is appreciated.

-chris