Re: Linux-2.3.51, and the pre-2.4 series..

From: Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Date: Sun Mar 12 2000 - 14:04:55 EST

In <E12UBdm-0006KM-00@the-village.bc.nu> Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk) wrote:
>> Why ? Why to introduce additional level of indirection and such if you can not
>> introduce new policy anyway (it's defined in "Linux Allocated Devices"
>> document as you said earlier :-)

AC> The policy should be in user space but the default policy should be back
AC> compatibility.

This is not how it all is done.

AC> I'd have expected devfs to do that by default unless told not to.. as it
AC> happens devfsd does it by default if you run it.. which I guess isnt far off

Difference is subtle but deep in fact. Default policy (vc/1 - first virtual
console, tts/1 - former ttyS1, ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part11 - former
hda11 and so on) is kernel's policy. Default userspace policy is to just
one-to-one mapping of kernel policy to /dev (or /devfs -- where devfs is
mounted). With devfsd you can change userspace policy and something other
then one-to-one mapping. It WILL NOT do anything to internel kernel's
policy. The ultimate goal is to REPLACE device numbers with names everywhere.
This can not be done for all devices till devfs is not mandatory, of course.