Re: memory tester and BP6 problems

From: Manuël Beunder (mailme@euronet.nl)
Date: Sat Mar 11 2000 - 14:51:49 EST

On Fri, 10 Mar 2000, Robert A. Hayden wrote:

>> I agree. I have two BP6 systems, both with dual 366s (tried to Overclock .
>> to 550 with mixed success). While I can easily get no lockups, the board

Just for the geekyness, If you want to OC a Celeron 366, try a mainboard speed
of 92 to 95 Mhz and a PCI devider of 3 and put the Voltage to 2.10.
This requires you to keep of the lid of your case and to keep ambient temp to <
20 degrees celcius.(with standard coolers) The trick is to keep your procs < ~45
degree celcius, heavy processor intensive jobs might still put the temp to
above 50 degrees celcius and spoil the game..
Not OC-ed Celerons can go up to as high as 80 degree celcius before cracking
down.

>> has too many issues an I cannot recommend it for any mission critical or
>> server operations. Dual celerons is great if it meets your need, but put
>> it on a different board.

I second that as well, the numerous APIC crc-errors you get during heavy IO
(eg. PIO mode hd data transfers), show that OC-ing is absolutely not wise to do
for such systems. Also everyone knows that ambient temp can easily pass
sub-tropical temperatures in a server environment...
To be short: don't ever ever OC any processor in a true working environment!

> I'll second that... after buying into all of the hype on the BP6, I was
> sadly disappointed when I was left with a terribly unstable machine
> (this was before the "fix-it-all" latest BIOS upgrade and I've since
> gotten rid of the board). Unfortunately, the whole experience has soured
> SMP for me. I am hoping that should I decide to build another dual
> Celeron machine around an ASUS dual board, it'll be no less stable than
> any of the single CPU ASUS boards I've used with Linux.

Cheers,

--
/* Manuël Beunder,
'Codifex Maximus ~ It may hurt my pride to be wrong once in a while, but I'd