Re: Linux 2.2.15pre12

From: Paul Jakma (paul.jakma@compaq.com)
Date: Mon Mar 06 2000 - 09:18:57 EST

On Fri, 3 Mar 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

> > Isn't this what /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory is for??
>
> Thats a quick heuristic check on/off not a detailed bit of accounting

another question, forgive me if it's stupid: Why do we even allow
overcommited memory? What reason is there is to support app's that
malloc() a huge amount of memory without using that memory?

as i understand it, currently linux grants all malloc's (unless
OOM or limits apply) and only really allocates the pages when an app
tries to access them. If we allocated memory straight away then we could
avoid OOM, by telling errant app's ENOMEM a lot earlier? couldn't we?

(i'm having a discussion with some other unix users at the moment about
linux's OOM vulnerability).

regards,

paul jakma.