RE: 32-cpu box

From: Maciej W. Rozycki (macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl)
Date: Fri Mar 03 2000 - 11:40:21 EST

On Thu, 2 Mar 2000, Lyle Coder wrote:

> I dont think Linux can boot on more than 8 way system because it programs
> the local APIC in the flat model which has support for only upto 8 local
> apics

 This system is still not MP-compliant as integrated APICs are limited to
up to 14 CPUs due to constraints on APIC IDs so there is actually no way
to address remaining units (actually 82489DX APICs support up to 254 CPUs
and up to 32 logical nodes in the flat mode but these are not available
anymore). In order to support the machine a specific code would need to
be written.