Re: tcp_keepalive crash - not egcs caused

From: Whit Blauvelt (whit@transpect.com)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2000 - 21:09:50 EST

On Wed, 01 Mar 2000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > reverted to gcc 2.7.2.3 from the current Red Hat egcs. Do you suspect that
> > the bug came about through egcs compilation (some of your changes, Dave,
>
> It would be very interesting if it did, since we believe egcs 1.1.x and
> gcc 2.7.2 are both totally solid compilers

Alan, quite right, at least that it makes no difference. Recompiled
2.2.15.pre10 with the old gcc late this afternoon, set the
tcp_keepalive_time to 60 (seconds) in hopes of triggering a crash while I
was around, and by midevening, voila, the same crash. At the time there
were two tcp sockets open, one to the machine on which I was watching
"netstat -tc" for the server, and one for sendmail which was attempting to
pass on a message to a nonresponsive system, as this shows:

tcp 0 1 china.patternbook.:1264 b.nonamecorp.com:smtp SYN_SENT
tcp 0 0 china.patternboo:telnet whit.transpect.com:1136 ESTABLISHED

(those two lines repeated up off the screen in the buffer)

and the maillog on that one looked like this:

Mar 1 19:56:02 china sendmail[2028]: QAA01576: to=Tom Campbell
<Tom.campbell@sid.net>, delay=03:21:16, xdelay=00:13:10, mailer=esmtp,
relay=puffy.noname.com. [216.112.75.129], stat=Deferred: Connection timed
out with puffy.noname.com.

So I'll set tcp_keepalive_time back to insanity, and revel in stability.

Whit