Intel 810 chipset...

From: Kedar Patankar (kedar@ishoni.com)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2000 - 00:02:48 EST

Hi,

        I am an absolute newbie in kernel hacking. I am facing a weird
problem. My home machine is a P-II@400MHz, with mobo based on intel 810
chipset, running RH6.1 stock, kernel 2.2.14 with intel's agpgart module to
let X use more than 1MB of video ram.
        I am trying to get the on-board sound to work. I tried the alsa
cvs driver for 8x0 but it doesn't work. Finally after hacking the driver
sources, I found that whenever there is an attempt to access (r/w) any of
the ac97 mixer register io ports, it just freezes the box hard.
        To test the thing, I just wrote a small module, with just two
functions init_module and cleanup_module. In init_module all I do is just
get the io address range where the ac97 mixer registers and the ICH
busmastering control status registers are mapped in io space, and do a
read (inl/inw) on the mixer reset/status register (offset 0). This just
freezes the machine hard. There is nothing in /var/log/messages. I have
tried other io ports in the ac97 mixer address range, to same effect.
        Any ideas why is this happening?? I was thinking just reading an
IO port should not cause such deadly effects.
        Any help / pointers would be great. Thanx in advance.

        Regards,
        Kedar.

PS - The sound works perfectly in M$ Win95. But needs crystal
semiconductor cs-4299 drivers. cs-4299 is a ac97 compliant codec coupled
to the i810 (in my case 82810) via the ac97 link. I have read the intel
ICH 82810 docs (all of them) and the cs-4299 data sheet.