Re: /proc/0/ [was Re: /proc/nzombies]

From: Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2000 - 20:21:55 EST

Pavel Machek writes:
> [somebody]

>> Might I suggest a /proc/0/... tree of process information? (task[0]
>> is the kernel after all.) It would help reduce the clutter in /proc.
>
> task[0] is idle and it would be VERY good if kernel reported it as
> regular task. Just now, top can lie about idle (run make on
> linux kernel), with /proc/0/ it would be reliable.

First of all, top does not lie. You need to upgrade top.
http://www.cs.uml.edu/~acahalan/linux/procps-000221.tar.gz
(well, I suppose the timestamp register hack would help)
Note that "idle" time refers to the CPU, not your disks.

Having a /proc/0 is great as long as it is an invisible directory.
It would have to be a special case I think, because SMP would give
you more than one /proc/0 AFAIK. (which of the many could you use?)