Re: /proc/nzombies

From: Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Date: Sun Feb 27 2000 - 03:32:59 EST

On Sat, 26 Feb 2000, Jos Visser wrote:

>Running the risk to be deemed an irresponsible featurist I submit the
>following:
>
>SHORT:
>-----
>
>Let's extend the kernel with a /proc/nzombies feature that tells the
>current number of zombies. This is handy for system and network
>monitoring purposes. I did some homework and it is a quite trivial
>extension to exit.c.
[SNIP]

Instead of producing such a patch, that is really duplicating
existing information for no real good reason - why not actually
*FIX* the applications that are zombifying? Any app I've found
that zombies all the time, it is usually a one liner patch that
fixes it. Of course that assumes that it is open source we're
talking about. If it is closed source or proprietary however,
then you should pound on your vendor's door and tell them their
application is broken and you want your money back.

Just my $0.02

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

Suspicious Anagram #4: Word: PRESIDENT CLINTON OF THE USA Anagram: TO COPULATE HE FINDS INTERNS