I/O newbee

From: Badrinath Venkatachari (badri@cs.wpi.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2000 - 16:40:39 EST

Hi,
 I am trying to understand the I/O scheduling on a 2.0.36 kernel.

 I want to replace the algorithm to schedule requests (from elevator) to
something else..like one that is based on some sort of priority passed on
with each request. I replaced the call to make_request with one of my own
functions, built a Q internally (in one of the files that I introduced)
based on the priority and periodically generated requests using
make_request according to my sequencing of requests. However, I am not
sure if IN_ORDER would re-order the requests that I send ?? Also I would
like to know if request_fn is the one that finally submits the requests
for retrieving the necessary blocks ?

 I have modified buffer_head to hold some extra information (priority)
that is needed for scheduling by the new function that I have introduced.

 Could someone please tell me if there are any other considerations that I
have to be aware of ?

 Pardon me for any HUGE mistakes in my understanding.

thanks a lot in advance.

badri