Re: How to survive in a Micro$oft environment??

From: Ricky Beam (jfbeam@bluetopia.net)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2000 - 17:31:26 EST

On 28 Feb 2000, david parsons wrote:
>Olaf Kirch <okir@caldera.de> wrote:
>> For
>>some mysterious reason, many site admins do seem to prefer to walk around
>>and configure their machines manually.
>
> The users (particularly developers who know just a little bit too
> much) think that dhcp is a second-class protocol and want to get
> static addresses because their machines Are! Important! Too!

I know admins on both sides of the fence... those on the static side changed
that view quickly when presented with managing several hundred machines in
more than one building (spanning multiple states.)

I gave a talk at the Piedmont Linux Users Group (PLUG a Wake Forest Univ.)
last year on IP address management and address recovery -- DHCP, static
address translation, dynamic address translation, and IP masq. They seemed
to be impressed by the capabilities of DHCP. Once more people learn what it
is, how it works, and how valuable a tool it truely is, people will no longer
fear it. DHCP _really_ isn't that evil and can even be setup to hand out
"static" addresses. (Altho' you need to know the machine's MAC address to
do that or use an "auto-learn"ing server -- it remembers who it gave the
adress to and always gives that address back to it.)

--Ricky

PS: The PLUG meeting was Mar. 15, 1999. They might have a transcript of it
    or something. (Sorry, URL buried in several megs of email.)