Re: How to survive in a Micro$oft environment??

From: Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2000 - 14:03:35 EST

On Mon, 28 Feb 2000, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

[SNIPPED...]

> This need to get fixed ASAP. The only solution for customers at present
> with mixed networks is to unplug the networking cable from the back of
> the system during LIZARD install, manually enter the TCPIP info, then
> reboot the machine prior to attempting to plug it into a live network.

What is it that Linux (not some program shipped by some vendor) is doing
wrong that should be fixed? Is it replying to an inquiry incorrectly?

I think that if Linux did not reply to an ARP on the broadcast or
network address it would become a 'quiet neighbor`, but would that
hurt something?

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Penguin : Linux version 2.3.41 on an i686 machine (800.63 BogoMips).