Re: PPC should not use -fno-builtin (was Re: 2.3.47 imac build?)

From: Michal Jaegermann (michal@ellpspace.math.ualberta.ca)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2000 - 14:13:13 EST

Paul Mackerras <paulus@linuxcare.com> wrote:

> OK, the problem is that gcc expects size_t to be an unsigned int.

Eh? Where? This is a big news to me and size_t on my Alpha with gcc
is definitely not an unsigned int. That would be a huge bug.
Are you trying to tell that 64-bit PPC compiler is broken?

The last time I looked C Standard required that size_t will be an
unsigned integer type (NOT int) which is wide enough to express a size
of any object you can declare in your C program. As on 64-bit platform
you can easily declare arrays which have more bytes in them that it can
be covered by an usigned int range, and sizeof(...) is supposed to
return their true size, this immediately kills a possibility of using
there usigned int for size_t - at least as long as you want to stay
standard conforming. Or maybe one can artificially limit object
sizes to keep sizeof() from going bonkers? I do not know if this
would violate some other Standard restrictions but this would be
a pretty weird compiler.

  Michal