Re: How to survive in a Micro$oft environment??

From: Ricky Beam (jfbeam@bluetopia.net)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2000 - 14:18:36 EST

On Sun, 27 Feb 2000, Jonathan Walther wrote:
>... I can
>only assume if someone is running the "time" server they intend for
>others to use it. Wouldn't you agree?

NO! They may not even be aware they're running it. Just look at all the
crap most distributions turn on in inetd.conf. I'll grant the administrator
_should_ have looked at that after installation, but most don't.

(I've been yelled at before for assuming the admin had a clue. In my case,
 it was all the open NFS servers on campus. I assumed everyone with nfsd's
 exporting things to "everyone" meant to do so. I was even non-milicious
 enough to ignore everything that looked like an AFS-to-NFS translator -- I
 knew how unstable that thing was(is?) [even Transarc told people not to
 use it.])

--Ricky