Re: How to survive in a Micro$oft environment??

From: Ricky Beam (jfbeam@bluetopia.net)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2000 - 13:58:47 EST

On Sun, 27 Feb 2000, Jonathan Walther wrote:
>When does it look hostile? Does a simple DNS query look hostile?

"simple" is a relative term. And yes, _A_ query can be hostile.

>How about some poor sucker whose hardware gets hosed, and he wants to
>find out the time from someone elses "time" service? Is he hostile
>if he scans for open "time" ports?

YES. Do you have explicit permission to be using the computing resources
(albeit next to nothing) of the other network? I know this sound stupid
and trivial, but it isn't.

If an unknown entity scans your network for unknown purpose(s), it should
be treated just as if some shifty character were wandering through the
parking lot looking in every car. (That's a good way to strike up a
conversation with a cop.)

--Ricky