121 Key keyboard.

From: Jon Masters (jonathan@easypenguin.co.uk)
Date: Sat Feb 26 2000 - 22:09:53 EST

Hi,
        I'm having an ongoing problem getting this new 121 key keyboard working
properly under the console (not X). Since I've already explained the
problem to others (who haven't been able to help as of yet), I am
attaching the contents of previous messages below.

Hi,
        I am investigating getting my new 121 key keyboard working
properly
under Linux. For the moment I'm not bothering about getting it right
under X - I'll get it working under the console first and then worry
about getting it right in X.

<snip>

It has 105 keys + 16 multimedia keys also (including cool stuff like
a volume jog dial that sends one scancode when turned one way and
anther when turned the opposite way). I have all
the scancodes from the keys and I now want to associate keycodes with
those. Now I'm not an expert on the keyboard driver, but I understand
that it can cope with 127 keycodes. I have read the keyboard HOWTO etc,
but I what I really want is a helping hand getting started. I'm
reasonably confident that I could modify the keyboard driver if
required,
but I don't want to modify my kernel to get this to work
- I want to use the various tools that exist which should enable
me to do this through a simple keymap.

<snip>

...I've searched through the kernel list archives and various websites
and found only others asking the same question with no real answers. I'm
running kernel 2.2.13 and have the following scancodes generated:

KEY NAME Scancode Scancode
                on press on release

POWER OFF = 0xe0 0x5e 0xe0 0xde
SLEEP = 0xe0 0x5f 0xe0 0xdf
RESUME = 0xe0 0x63 0xe0 0xe3
HELP = 0xe0 0x2e 0xe0 0xae
MY FAVOURITE = 0xe0 0x20 0xe0 0xa0
BROWSER = 0xe0 0x30 0xe0 0xb0
WWW SEARCH = 0xe0 0x32 0xe0 0xb2
SHORTCUT = 0xe0 0x26 0xe0 0xa6
VOLUME DOWN = 0xe0 0x25 0xe0 0xa5
VOLUME UP = 0xe0 0x1e 0xe0 0x9e
MUTE = 0xe0 0x12 0xe0 0x92
PREVIOUS = 0xe0 0x22 0xe0 0xa2
STOP = 0xe0 0x10 0xe0 0x90
NEXT = 0xe0 0x24 0xe0 0xa4
EJECT = 0xe0 0x21 0xe0 0xa1
PLAY = 0xe0 0x19 0xe0 0x99

<snip>

I've suggested what I think to be reasonable keycode mappings
and all I'm after is perhaps an example of how you might add one of the
buttons to the running kernel using the various userspace tools that I
can use it as a starting point.

<snip>

> > I'm not too sure how to handle scancodes that have 2 parts (extended).
>
> No problem here. They magically get converted into single keycodes.

That's the problem, they're not being recognised e.g. scancode e05e
keycode 112 doesn't work using:

setkeycodes e05e 112

doesn't seem to work and I can't see why i.e.

getkeycodes
setkeycodes e05e 112
getkeycodes

shows no difference. No matter what I try it is not working and I would
really like this keyboard to work properly. For the record, I am running
this under the console with no X server running and logged in as root
(not that that should matter).

Jonathan.

--
Jonathan C. Masters