Re: Linux console driver maintainer?

From: James Simmons (jsimmons@acsu.buffalo.edu)
Date: Sat Feb 26 2000 - 21:35:52 EST

> Well, I'm sure that the framebuffer will get worked out in
> time... My only, and I stress _only_ here goal - to satisfy my
> personal itch - is to have the _TEXT_MODE_ hardware utilized in a
> more powerful way.

> Correct me if I'm wrong... fbdev consists of only graphical
> devices, and not text mode hardware? I just want to get it

Okay. By the way in theory fbdev can support hardware text modes. Its just
no one actually does it. From fb.h

Type of video mode.

#define FB_TYPE_TEXT 3 /* Text/attributes */

Supported hardware text modes.

#define FB_AUX_TEXT_MDA 0 /* Monochrome text */
#define FB_AUX_TEXT_CGA 1 /* CGA/EGA/VGA Color text */
#define FB_AUX_TEXT_S3_MMIO 2 /* S3 MMIO fasttext */
#define FB_AUX_TEXT_MGA_STEP16 3 /* MGA Millenium I: text, attr, 14
reserved bytes */
#define FB_AUX_TEXT_MGA_STEP8 4 /* other MGAs: text, attr, 6
reserved bytes */

> Will do! Looks like there are a lot of people wanting to
> contribute to a better console here!

I see. I will soon setup a developement site.

Codito, ergo sum - "I code, therefore I am"
James Simmons (o_
fbdev/gfx developer (o_ (o_ //\
http://www.linux-fbdev.org (/)_ (/)_ V_/_
http://linuxgfx.sourceforge.net