Re: Ld-linux.so.2 using resources

From: Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com)
Date: Fri Feb 25 2000 - 08:54:05 EST

On Thu, 24 Feb 2000, Art Wagner wrote:

> Can anyone tell me why I have seen ld-linux.so.2 using the kind of
> resources indicated below ?
> Process 682 Size=35736 RSS=20M SHARE=7106 STAT=R LIB=13M CPU=98-99%
> MEM=16.1
> At times a second process shows up concurrently using twice as much SIZE
> RSS=51M LIB=44M CPU=89%
>
> "X" is running with Netscape 4.61
> System is a Abit BP6 128Meg Memory 2 500MHz Celerons (not overclocked)
> Kernel is 2.2.15-5 SMP with Andre Hedrick's IDE Patch
> System is based on RH 6.1 BIOS for abit is Award 4.51 PG with Abit code
> "LP"
> I will be glad to provide any further information which may help.
> Art Wagner

This is the shared-library loader.

getuid() = 0
getgid() = 0
geteuid() = 0
getegid() = 0
brk(0) = 0x2aab53c4
brk(0x2aab6000) = 0x2aab6000
write(2, "Usage: ld.so [--list|--verify] E"..., 895Usage: ld.so [--list|--verify] EXECUTABLE-FILE [ARGS-FOR-PROGRAM...]
You have invoked `ld.so', the helper program for shared library executables.
This program usually lives in the file `/lib/ld.so', and special directives
in executable files using ELF shared libraries tell the system's program
loader to load the helper program from this file. This helper program loads
the shared libraries needed by the program executable, prepares the program
to run, and runs it. You may invoke this helper program directly from the
command line to load and run an ELF executable file; this is like executing
that file itself, but always uses this helper program from the file you
specified, instead of the helper program file specified in the executable
file you run. This is mostly of use for maintainers to test new versions
of this helper program; chances are you did not intend to run this program.
) = 895
_exit(127) = ?

This would not normally use any measurable CPU time. You seem to have
some program that is failing to start, looping back, perhaps due to
a crash that didn't seg-fault.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Penguin : Linux version 2.3.41 on an i686 machine (800.63 BogoMips).