Re: Does anybody try to compile the 2.3 kernels at all ? :((

From: willy@thepuffingroup.com
Date: Tue Feb 15 2000 - 18:07:44 EST

On Tue, Feb 15, 2000 at 01:14:32PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > *sigh* I noticed this on Saturday at an install-fest (someone's Caldera
> > 486-SX machine was oopsing in an entertaining way when trying to start
> > KDE). I wish I could have figured out how to build a Caldera kernel...
>
> KDE may be the first app run on that box that hits memory hard - so it
> may or may not be FPU-emu related.

well, when the stack backtrace was decoded and showed the call path coming
from the fp emulation, I jumped to the conclusion the FP emulation code
was broken :-) Caldera ship a 2.2.5-based kernel, and there were changes
in 2.2.14, so I guessed I just needed to recompile. Unfortunately,
the machine would no longer boot after I installed the new kernel,
so I guess there's some caldera-specific patches I didn't apply.