Re: Does anybody try to compile the 2.3 kernels at all ? :((

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Tue Feb 15 2000 - 08:14:32 EST

> *sigh* I noticed this on Saturday at an install-fest (someone's Caldera
> 486-SX machine was oopsing in an entertaining way when trying to start
> KDE). I wish I could have figured out how to build a Caldera kernel...

KDE may be the first app run on that box that hits memory hard - so it
may or may not be FPU-emu related.

There are reasons I keep telling people not to use 2.95 to build kernels,
unfortunately it appears not everyone is listening

o Please do build non critical boxes with 2.95
o Please do send patches where you find 2.95 problems

But *DONT* use gcc 2.95 where you want to be sure of total stability. Not
because the compiler is buggy but because it tickles interesting long standing
bugs in our asm, as well as having changed some of the internal asm rules
for the better and in the process making things a little interesting for
the kernel.

Since we are still finding subsystems with gcc 2.95 problems - and many are
subtle corruptions or locking problems not obvious crashes - I believe 2.2.14
is ok except for odd glitches - but since people are still finding odd glitches
we aren't there yet