Re: Massive filesystem corruption with 2.2.14?

From: Guest section DW (dwguest@win.tue.nl)
Date: Fri Feb 11 2000 - 20:54:12 EST

On Sat, Feb 12, 2000 at 12:20:31AM +1100, wzdd@tig.com.au wrote:

> I just finished salvaging data from a friend's RedHat 6.1 system,
> running kernel 2.2.14, after its / partition (the only Linux native
> partition on the system) became corrupt. The computer is a fairly new
> (several months) Pentium 3 system, and also has a windows 98 partition
> that wasn't affected, which makes me less inclined to consider hardware
> failure. I was wondering if anyone on this list knew anything about
> possible poor interactions with the hardware on this class of PC.
>
> The first few MB of the partition were completely obliterated - however
> none of the backup superblocks I passed to e2fsck worked either. It
> occurred sometime between shutdown and startup - amusingly enough it
> first appeared after rebooting from Windows 98, but we're not suspecting
> a Microsoft conspiracy yet.

No, more likely your friend made a mistake.

Conjectured scenario: use *fdisk to shrink windows partition
to make room for Linux stuff. But fdisk does not touch the inside
of a partition, and the FAT filesystem in there still has the same
size as always, and when it fills up it overwrites the start of
your Linux stuff.

This is a common mistake. One cannot resize a filesystem
(FAT, ext2 or any other type, not even a swap partition)
with fdisk.