Massive filesystem corruption with 2.2.14?

From: wzdd@tig.com.au
Date: Fri Feb 11 2000 - 08:20:31 EST

Hi Linux users,

I just finished salvaging data from a friend's RedHat 6.1 system,
running kernel 2.2.14, after its / partition (the only Linux native
partition on the system) became corrupt. The computer is a fairly new
(several months) Pentium 3 system, and also has a windows 98 partition
that wasn't affected, which makes me less inclined to consider hardware
failure. I was wondering if anyone on this list knew anything about
possible poor interactions with the hardware on this class of PC.

The first few MB of the partition were completely obliterated - however
none of the backup superblocks I passed to e2fsck worked either. It
occurred sometime between shutdown and startup - amusingly enough it
first appeared after rebooting from Windows 98, but we're not suspecting
a Microsoft conspiracy yet.

mke2fs -S followed by e2fsck recovered enough to copy almost all of
/home onto a backup drive, but this was one of the few inodes that
wasn't obviously corrupt (many entries were owned by seemingly random
UIDs, had insanely huge file sizes, and / or were special files).

Anyway, there are several possibilities I'm considering, including
flakey hardware and the heat, but in the circumstances it seems more
likely that some part of the kernel decided it didn't like some part of
the hardware.

Extra random information: BX chipset, hard drive supports UDMA-66 but
I'm almost certain it was not enabled. Hard drive is a Seagate and is
the primary master. The only other IDE device is a CD-ROM, which is
secondary master.

Any help or me-toos appreciated.

- Nicholas FitzRoy-Dale