Re: Does anybody try to compile the 2.3 kernels at all ? :((

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2000 - 16:35:29 EST

On Thu, 10 Feb 2000, Sergey Kubushin wrote:

> Please don't think I'm a dumb newbie :((

Don't worry, nobody thinks that you are a newbie.

> I can tell that latest _STABLE_ kernel is 2.1.125 which does run our primary
> NS with several thousands zones having a 294 days uptime now. 2.2.xx is beta,

H-u-h??? OK. OK. Let's... No, it would be wrong.
Sergey, I hate to break it on you, but there were security holes in this
kernel. Plenty of them. No kidding. And they are well-known. IOW, taking
your box down (after you've gave IP address to everyone) would take a
couple of minutes, allowing for potentially shitty line.

> 2.3.xx is pre-prealpha. Please don't tell than it's development etc., please
> do try to explain how can one pretend he's developing some driver (e.g. RAID)
> if this driver does not even compile ? I can understand buggy and unstable
> drivers, but please do try to explain how can the driver which has one of
> the files missing be developed and patched ? How can one make and send any
> patches if the driver is incomplete ?

Three words: merge in progress. If you want to stand up and call Ingo a
liar - go ahead and do it. Otherwise, kindly shut the hell up.