Re: Does anybody try to compile the 2.3 kernels at all ? :((

From: Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2000 - 12:24:39 EST

In <Pine.LNX.4.21.KSI2.0002101710550.17234-100000@nomad.ksi-linux.com> Sergey Kubushin (ksi@ksi-linux.com) wrote:
> Hi, everybody.

> I wonder does anybody try to compile 2.3 kernels at all ? I'm not for a
> blood, but I can't understand how can it be that _EIGHTH_ 2.3.43 pre in a
> row have drivers/block/xor.c required for RAID5 missing ?

RAID is not in working state in 2.3. It's in Cox's ToDo list. Ingo planned
to port it's RAID 0.90 to 2.3 for 2.4 ... AFAIK it was not done.

> I can't understand how could anybody hasn't noticed that the thing fails
> even the "make dep"...

Since RAID is broken and it's KNOWN that RAID is broken there are no way to
try to compile it...

> I can't understand that nobody has noticed that wanpipe does not build in
> several _RELEASED_ kernels in a row because somebody has removed enable_IPX
> and network_number that are spread all over the wan drivers code from
> include/linux/wanrouter.h...

Hmm. Perhaps working wanrouter stuff is also distributed separately ?

> People, what's going on ? I can't believe that somebody did succed in
> kernel compile having such mistakes in a source tree :(( It looks like
> nobody has even tried to compile them, less for booting... How can it be
> tested if it fails even to compile due to obvious mistakes ? Or it has not
> to be tested at all ?

Features known to be broken should not be compiled. They should be fixed
instead. And there are not enough manpower to fix all such places :-/