Re: On optimising the scheduler for large run queues

From: Tim Magill (tim@tengu.tmtrfl.tel.gte.com)
Date: Tue Feb 01 2000 - 19:16:28 EST

On Mon, Jan 31, 2000 at 10:46:23PM -0300, Horst von Brand wrote:
> Marco Colombo <marco@esi.it> said:
>
> [...]
>
> > In other words, I won't call an application that has both high
> > switch rate and causes a long RQ "well designed, well tuned".
> > I can hardly think of such an application which has a good cache
> > behaviour at the same time (that's my impression).
> >
> > So I think that an application that has both high switch rate and
> > long RQ is NOT "well designed, well tuned", and you should optimize it.
>
> This might be a legacy application that isn't worth the massive work of
> rewriting, so tune & optimize is out. Question then becomes: How common
> and/or important is this kind of stuff?

  Would non-trivial process pipelines create fairly fast switch rates
and possibly deep RQ's? It seems to me that one of the early ANSI C
compilers was a 6 stage compiler implementing each phase of
compilation in a separate binary. Pipeline the stages and you have
six process running. Obviously this compiler was less optimal than a
2 pass compiler, but it would have been easy to debug.

tim