Re: Keyboard is frozen on boot of 2.3.41

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Mon Jan 31 2000 - 14:07:16 EST

On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, Guest section DW wrote:

> My ancient keyboard docs contain warnings like
>
> "MCA systems with a type 1 controller must wait at least 7 usec
> after bit 0 (status read from 0x64) goes from 0 to 1 before
> reading the data from port 0x60."
>
> Probably irrelevant these days, but since you mention timing issues...

One thing to try might be to just assume that the keyboard controller is a
slow device (it is), and use "inb_p()" instead of "inb()" etc for the
definition of kbd_read_input() and friends. Just edit the file

        include/asm-i386/keyboard.h

if you have a keyboard problem, and replace the inb's and "inb_p"s and the
outb's with "outb_p"s.

It will give you only one us rather than seven, but seven us is just so
incredibly slow that I can't imagine that it should matter these days.

                Linus