Re: What is Lineo doing?

From: Jeffrey B. Siegal (jbs@quiotix.com)
Date: Mon Jan 31 2000 - 08:38:02 EST

Manfred Spraul wrote:
> Where's the problem?

I carefully didn't claim there was a problem. I simply asked what they are
doing.

> Now they can license the _complete_ package under any license they want,
> because it contains proprietary parts.

I don't believe so. They can put their proprietary parts under any license
they want, but they can't apply this license to the GPL parts. If this is
what they're doing (which seems plausible), their press release is deceptive
because it claims that the entire product is "not for resale," not that just
the proprietary parts are not for resale. Clearly the GPL'ed parts (which
makes up virtually all of the product, I'm confident) *can* be resold.