Re: announce: updated autofs v4 patches; autofs-4.0.0-pre1

From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge (jeremy@goop.org)
Date: Sun Jan 30 2000 - 22:44:11 EST

On 30-Jan-00 Russell King wrote:
> Jeremy Fitzhardinge writes:
>> Can you extract the relevent messages from syslog? Does it print something
>> like "daemon (X, Y) kernel (X, Y)" after the "does not match daemon
>> version" message? If not, then you're probably still using the old autofs
>> module, since both are in 2.3 (select CONFIG_AUTOFS4 rather than
>> CONFIG_AUTOFS). You'll also need to add an "alias autofs4 autofs" into your
>> conf.modules if you're being modular.
>
> Is there any point in keeping the old code in the kernel, especially as the
> v4 integration has broken it?

Its redundant, but the existing code is well proven. It can be replaced when
the replacement proves itself. Its basically a compromise to get the new code
into 2.3 rather than pushing it out to 2.5.

> (hint - the change to AUTOFS_PROTO_VERSION caused the old autofs to only
> accept v4 of the daemon).

OK. I'd only tested old binaries. The 3.1.3/4 source comes with its own copy
of the header files, so it shouldn't see the new ones if you're recompiling it.