Re: all zeroes/all ones used in host IP's...

From: Michael H. Warfield (mhw@wittsend.com)
Date: Fri Jan 28 2000 - 18:46:13 EST

On Fri, Jan 28, 2000 at 03:42:16PM -0700, Michael Loftis wrote:
> 255 is forbidden because it's the broadcast address. As to 0 being
> forbidden, uhm.. I think that's only as the last octet in a host
> sequence. Why? My nameserver is at 209.161.0.2 and 209.161.0.3

        No.... 255 is illegal only for a /24. 255.255 is illegal for
a /16. 0.255 is perfectly legal for a /20 or bigger. 0.127 is illegal
for a /25.

> Whatever 1123 says .0 seems to have been accepted in a network mask
> sense, but I would doubt that as a last octet of a host it would not
> work.

        It will work just fine if the network mask is bigger than a /24.
130.205.1.0 is perfectly fine if it's a /16 but illegal if it's masked down
to a /24.

        Stop thinking in octets. This stuff is binary.

 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  mhw@WittsEnd.com
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (770) 331-2437   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/