Re: kernel panics at google

From: David desJardins (desj@google.com)
Date: Tue Jan 25 2000 - 20:06:19 EST

yoann@mandrakesoft.com writes:
> Maybe giving a trace of the kind of packet received before the crash
> could help understanding / tracing the problem...
>
> tcpdump -s2000 -vvv -w outfile
> ( make sure no private data are passing on the network ).

I'm afraid this really isn't practical. Each webserver handles well
over 100 requests/second at peak times, and goes days between crashes.
It also communicates with hundreds of different servers. We can't
possibly tcpdump every single packet, even in the most skeletal form,
and even if the webservers didn't have other work to do.

> Also, you should modify tcpdump call fflush() after each
> line it append to the file.

And flushing after every line would be even more expensive.

  -- David