Re: [patch-2.3.40-pre6] kzalloc() (ala kmem_zalloc() of SVR4)

From: Jes Sorensen (Jes.Sorensen@cern.ch)
Date: Mon Jan 24 2000 - 04:37:51 EST

>>>>> "Jeff" == Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com> writes:

Jeff> I proposed something along these lines several months ago, poke
Jeff> around for the thread. While I agree with the patch, because it
Jeff> will save me a few lines of code here and there, an idea that
Jeff> came out of the previous discussion is also worth considering --
Jeff> zeroing pages during system idle time, and then handing those
Jeff> out from kzalloc() (or kmalloc(GFP_ZERO|GFP_xxx) or whatever)

Another thing I forgot to bring up earlier in the dicussion, most of
the places doing kmalloc();memset(); are in initialization parts of
the code, ie. they will be marked __init, so the optimization is a
no-win, the only thing you save is to write one line less of code.

Jes