Re: Oops in 2.2.13 (in __brelse) and ksymoops is obsolete?

From: Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Date: Tue Jan 11 2000 - 05:30:47 EST

On Tue, 11 Jan 2000 13:07:05 +1100,
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@cupid.suninternet.com> wrote:
>I got a nice oops report in the logs (below) but ksymoops
>doesn't seem to do anything with it. It also complain that
>it is obsolete. The ksymoops that comes with 2.2.13 is
>obsolete? How can that be?

ksymoops was meant to be separate from the kernel. It is separate in
2.3 but Alan Cox did not like the idea of tearing it out of the 2.2
kernels so we settled for a message instead. The code in kernel 2.2
scripts/ksymoops is way out of date.

>Anyway, ksymoops seems to get the addresses wrong. There
>is a version of ksymoops numbered 2.3.3. Is that likely
>to work here? There's also a mention of a patch about
>klogd preserving information. Is this relavent?

ksymoops 2.3.3 works on all kernels from 2.0 onwards. But if other
code like klogd stamps on the report before it gets to ksymoops, there
is nothing I can do about it. That is why there is a patch in the
ksymoops directory against klogd, to preserve the data that ksymoops
need.