Re: buggy ide?

Fri, 31 May 1996 03:14:03 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 30 May 1996, B. Galliart wrote:

> On Wed, 29 May 1996, Sheldon E. Newhouse wrote:
>
> > I just installed pre2.0.8 and noticed the following message
> >
> > ide0: buggy RZ1000 interface: disabled read-ahead
> >
> > What is this?

[...]
> I /think/ the bug only effects you if your using more than
> one IDE (although the report that the Linux kernel found the RZ1000
> should still come up). Be sure to always say Y to the RZ1000 support
> under the "Floppy, IDE, and other block devices" configuration
> section.

The problem is that the RZ1000 steals buffers from the floppy controler,
which is fine if you can garentee that the floppy driver is never touched
while the buffers are in use (by the RZ1000). This is the case under
dos, and windows (tho not with the 32 bit drivers on I think). It will
only effect Linux if you use the floppy drive, and run the ide with
interupts unmasked (you have to do 'hdparm -u 1 /dev/hd?'). Don't worry
about it, just don't unmake the interupts (makes the disks go faster, but
only when the ide disk is loaded). Well that's what I rember anyway ....

> More information is available at http://web.yahoo.com/pci/faq.html
>
> Maybe someone should add this URL to the CONFIG_BLK_DEV of the
> linux/Documenation/Configure.help
>
> - Ben Galliart (bgallia@luc.edu)

Bryn

--
PGP key pass phrase forgotten,   \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
again :(                          |            initiated.