Re: 1.99.8: documentation for making boot floppy

Thu, 30 May 1996 22:04:21 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 30 May 1996, Shinanyaku wrote:
> Some one wrote:
> >
> > dd bs=8192 if=/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage of=/dev/fd0
> >

> That's odd. Because just yesterday (when I was testing 1.99.8), I did
>
> cat ~/linux/zImage > /dev/fd0
> rdev -R /dev/fd0 1
>
> with no problem. Isn't that functionally identical to using cp ?

It only works if the disk is a High Density disk (ie 1.44M), it dosn't
work with a double density disk (720k), because you can't get enough data
(code) in the boot sector (I think, could be in the first track).

> Shin!
Bryn

--
PGP key pass phrase forgotten,   \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
again :(                          |            initiated.