Self moderation? (was Re: majordomo problems?)

Aaron Denney (wnoise@ugcs.caltech.edu)
30 May 1996 17:32:36 GMT

On Wed, 29 May 1996 20:42:17 -0500 (CDT), Mike Castle <mcastle@umr.edu> wrote:
> Amazingly enough Wesley Crusher said:
> > Phil Lewis (temporary) wrote:
> > > I wonder if there might be a way to grant read-only access to those secret
> > > lists or echo them to linux-kernel. Just because some of us are extremely
> >
> > I agree, I would really like to see what is going on and actually be
> > able to know in advance what kinds of "secret" projects that are planed
>

> A self moderated newsgroup ala alt.hackers.

Sorry for the off-topic post, I know this list has far too much noise
as it is, but...

I don't like the idea of using the alt.hackers self moderation technique
gratuitously. The more this technique is used the less effective
it becomes. How many of you would eventually either:
a) write scripts for posting.
b) tell others how to post.
I know that a couple of newsreaders already have the ability
to override moderation _built_in. This is bad.

Another posible idea is to have the list be moderated,
but let people in the know post using the alt.hackers method. Someone
else mentioned blacklists. If someone has enough disk to manage a
blacklist that would be cool. Another idea is random moderation like
best of security is doing these days.

--Aaron Denney