Re: strange df output?

lilo (TaRDiS@mail.utexas.edu)
Thu, 30 May 1996 09:40:54 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 30 May 1996, Andrew E. Mileski wrote:

> > Sorry for the confusion. I was not aware of the reserved space used in
> > an ext2 file system, and had simply never noticed that in a df command
> > before.
> >

> Note that you can set the reserved space to ZERO when you first
> make the fs. Check the man page for details.
>
> I do this on my non-root/non-temporary fs to squeeze out a few extra blocks.

The `tune2fs' utility can also be used to change the reserved space on an
existing filesystem. The filesystem may not be mounted read-write; so, in
the case of your root partition, you'd want to go into single-user mode with
something like:

telinit 1

and then remount it with something like:

mount -n -o remount,ro -t ext2 /dev/hda1 /

before changing the reservation value via:

tune2fs -r <reserved-block-count> /dev/hda1

or:

tune2fs -m <reserved-block-percentage> /dev/hda1

I am uncertain whether it's possible to increase the reserved space on an
existing volume, but suspect it is.

Note: it's also possible to use -g or -u to change the group ID or user ID
who can benefit from reserved space. This can be very handy for
special-purpose, non-root volumes.... I assume you can set these values
when creating the filesystem, but don't quote me.... :)

:) lilo