Re: sysvinit-2.60

Andrew C. Esh (andrewes@andrewes.cnt.com)
Wed, 29 May 1996 08:52:59 -0500

Andrew E. Mileski writes:

> > I upgraded my old Slackware system to sysvinit-2.60, and now shutdown
> > sends init a runlevel 6, so get shoved into X every time I try to
> > Ctrl-Alt-Del! Also, "init S" puts me in runlevel 5. "init 1" seems to
> > work right, except that I need to do a killall5 afterward, or all my
> > daemons hang around.
> >
> <snip>
> > Is this weird or what?
>
> It is perfectly NORMAL, as you have not updated your rc scripts,
> or inittab. This is actually explained in the docs.

Now that I have been through this a little, with some feedback like
this, and from others, I realize what is wrong. Thank you. I would
like to point out that there is no mention in any document which comes
in sysvinit-2.60-1.tar.gz about any changes to the rc scripts. I
grepped, and read everything. There is a mention of the addition of
manpages for rc.boot.and rc.local, but no such manpages are included.

Someone else told me that this is a userspace problem, and therefor
should not be discussed on this kernelspace-oriented list. I am
discussing this here because I saw sysvinit-2.60 suggested here as a
solution to some problems, and in Documentation/Changes, on line 33
(1.99.7), the version of SysVinit shown is 2.60. This means that any
Slackware user in my situation will have the same problems when they
start using SysVinit, as suggested. When Linux 2.0 comes out, that
could wind up being quite a few whiney users. Maybe we should update
the sysvinit package so that it includes more documentation, and a
directory full of example rc scripts. If I'd has those, you folks
would never have heard from me (about this, at least :).

> If you'd like some workable SysV scripts, just holler at me.

Thanks to some suggestions from Robert O'Kane, I have a workable
system. I really would like to drastically upgrade or even replace my
rc scripts, though. They are way old. If it's not too much trouble,
could you send me some (all) of yours? Is there or should we make a
package available on TSX or Sunsite which contains SysV rc scripts? If
there were such a thing, I would be glad to take the time to help the
inrush of complaining Slackware users find it.

> --
> Andrew E. Mileski
>
> mailto:aem@ott.hookup.net http://www.redhat.com/~aem/
> Linux Plug-and-Play Project http://www.redhat.com/pnp/
>
> Red Hat Software sponsors these pages - I have no other affilitation
> with Red Hat Software, and I have never used any of their products.

---
Andrew C. Esh			mailto:andrew_esh@cnt.com
Computer Network Technology	andrewes@mtn.org (finger for PGP key)
6500 Wedgwood Road		612.550.8000 (main)
Maple Grove MN 55311		612.550.8229 (direct)
http://www.cnt.com - CNT Inc. Home Page
http://www.mtn.org/~andrewes - ACE Home Page