Re: majordomo problems?

Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl
Tue, 28 May 1996 08:46:53 +0200

aeb:
> But can anybody explain why the linux-kernel mailing list
> (that has so much traffic that not many people will like to get it
> in their mailbox) and the linux.dev.kernel newsgroup
> (that is `nonstandard' and not carried at many sites)
> aren't replaced by comp.os.linux.development.kernel ?

Alan:
Because then we would have to create some new mail lists that were not full
of junk cros posts and flame wars. Linux-kernel has got to the point where
the serious work is being done in secret little mailing lists, let alone the
state of usenet.

Right now there is no difference between a usenet group and
the linux-kernel mailing list. Comparing volume at my site:

comp/os/linux/development/system: 307 articles
linux/dev/kernel: 656 articles

The state of comp/os/linux/development/system concerning flames
and the like is not worse than that of linux/dev/kernel - it may be
better - I have not seen any discussions about the speed of light there.
Already now the real work is done in mail between few people.
I cannot see any reason not to make linux/dev/kernel an ordinary
news group.

Andries