make -j zImage

Andrew C. Esh (andrewes@andrewes.cnt.com)
Tue, 28 May 1996 09:38:51 -0500

Dave Wreski writes:

> Hi all. I have 64megs of ram, and I was wondering why it is that I
> cannot do 'make -j zImage' when compiling 1.99.8? I am currently running
> 1.99.7 on a p120. Could this be a problem? I have been able to do this
> before, while compiling other kernels, but not too often..
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

I have never been able to do this from the command line. This is
because the main Makefile uses the $MAKE variable to do the sub-makes
in the various subdirectories in the source tree. In order to get the
-j option passed to the sub-makes, you need to edit the definition of
the $MAKE variable. It could be nice if the main Makefile was fixed so
it passes all the make command line option settings to the sub-makes.

BTW: -j will start as many processes as it has targets for. In the ip
directory, and a couple of others, this results in upwards of 20-30
compiles going at once. At that point, my machine with 32M of RAM
seems to begin to spend more time swapping than making any progress on
the compiles. I use "-j5 -l5" to keep the number of (j)obs and the
(l)oadavg under control. I have also noticed that sometimes make will
spawn more jobs than -j5 limits it to. A reducing load average,
falling from above 5 to below, while there are more than five targets
left to make, will usually cause make to disregard -j5 and spawn the
rest of the targets.

---
Andrew C. Esh			mailto:andrew_esh@cnt.com
Computer Network Technology	andrewes@mtn.org (finger for PGP key)
6500 Wedgwood Road		612.550.8000 (main)
Maple Grove MN 55311		612.550.8229 (direct)
http://www.cnt.com - CNT Inc. Home Page
http://www.mtn.org/~andrewes - ACE Home Page