Re: CONFIG_RANDOM option for 1.99.2 [OFFTOPIC]

Dr. Werner Fink (werner@suse.de)
Tue, 28 May 1996 16:27:48 +0200

> From: Albert Cahalan <albert@ccs.neu.edu>
> Date: Tue, 21 May 1996 21:05:17 -0400 (EDT)
>
> >> [ OFFTOPIC ]

> >> General Relativity Theory builds gravity from a mathematical model
> >> that has light-speed as the limit for information-flow. Though it's
> >> hardish to prove it (unless you can build galaxy-sized accelerators),
> >> it's quite logical and there is no reason (and no experiment) which
> >> indicates that it would be wrong.
> >>
> >> translated into plain English: light-speed is a hard limit :(
>
> Maybe. According to _Physics_Classical_and_Modern_ (1993),
> the Aharonov-Bohm effect suggests that action at a distance is
> possible. (this is quantum mechanics) Oddly, this does _not_
> violate the limit of signals not going faster than light.
>
> Perhaps someone can explain? (in under 1000 pages!)

Explain ? --- You can not explain the result of physical experiments.
You can describe the results using mathematical methods
to build a model like QED (quantum electro dynamics).
And you should remember: the model is only a model
of the reality seen by the measure machines and/or your eyes.

> BTW, I think linux-kernel has enough nerds to make this close enough
> to being on topic. It's more on topic than MIME, more interesting
> than flock() warnings, and it's _not_ a penguin-based Gnu...

Werner

--
 Dr. Werner Fink  --  S.u.S.E. GmbH,  Gebhardtstr. 2, 90762 Fuerth,  Germany
 mail:werner@suse.de     http://www.suse.de/~werner/     fax:+49-911-7409821