Re: Triton II and Cyrix 6X86

Matti E Aarnio (coneill@premier.net)
Mon, 27 May 1996 19:20:59 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 27 May 1996, Lauri Tischler wrote:
> Anno Domini 23 May 96 at 11:17, Sudish Joseph wrote:
> > Works fine for me on a SuperMicro Triton-II board. I've run every
> > kernel from 1.3.95 to 1.99.2 (well, I did run .3 and .4 but they
> > generate spurious ide interrupts that I'll report once I get my home
> > email setup working :-).
> >
> This answers my original question, thanks for all who replied :)
>
> How about Cyrix processors, any special setup's etc.. ??

No, the /proc/cpuinfo information is wrong, but I'm working on fixing
that. Another thing is that the Cyrix has a bunch of configuration
registers that are interesting. The biggest win seems to be that the
Cyrix supports a low-power halt that reduces the power draw by an order of
magnitude. The CPU disspates 22 watts maximum and runs quite hot.
Turning on the low-power halt makes the processor run _extremely_ cool.
I'm almost finished with a utility for manipulating these control
registers.

Clayton O'Neill Business--> Premier One Inc
whatever@oneill.net clayton@premier.net
http://www.oneill.net <--Personal http://www.premier.net