Re: sound driver broken in 1.3.96+ ?

Hannu Savolainen (hannu@voxware.pp.fi)
Tue, 28 May 1996 06:46:14 +0300 (EET DST)

On Mon, 27 May 1996 scypher@cs.fsu.edu wrote:

> When I updated my kernel to pre2.0.7, I noticed that auplay (from nas-1.2p3)
> was broken. Funny enough, a simple 'cat sound.au > /dev/audio' does work
> however. So I started backtracking to see where the sound driver changed
> and found that the problem started with 1.3.96 when the DMA sound code was
> modified. Has anyone else seen this problem?
I think this is somehow related with situations where the application
doesn't write data to the device fast enough which causes underflows.

Does this happen with version 3.5.4-beta4 (see the driver's web page)? It
has somehow improved handling of underflow situations.

Best regards,

Hannu
Hannu Savolainen (hannu@voxware.pp.fi, hannu@4front-tech.com)
http://personal.eunet.fi/pp/voxware/hannu.html (my home page)