umount problem (was: Re: umount problem with sbpcd)

Tue, 28 May 1996 00:25:03 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 27 May 1996, Mirko Manea wrote:

> I notice a problem with sbpcd driver. When an ordinary (non root) user
> mounts a cdrom everything seems ok, i.e. he/she can do ls, cp, etc...,
> but then there are no ways to umount it: the only chance is to log in
> as root and type an umount /cdrom.
[...]
> gulliver:~$ uname -a
> Linux gulliver 1.99.7 #1-pre-2.0 Wed May 22 21:31:38 MET DST 1996 i486
> gulliver:~$ cat /etc/fstab
> /dev/hda1 / ext2 defaults 1 1
> none /proc proc defaults 1 1
> /dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,user,noauto,ro 0 0
> /dev/fd0 /floppy/msdos msdos defaults,user,noauto 0 0
> /dev/fd0 /floppy/ext2 ext2 defaults,user,noauto 0 0
> gulliver:~$ mount -V
> (u)mount: version from util-linux-2.4
> gulliver:~$ mount /cdrom
> gulliver:~$ fuser -vm /cdrom # Nobody is using the mounted cdrom
> gulliver:~$ umount /cdrom
> umount: /cdrom mount disagrees with the fstab
> gulliver:~$

Yep I've seen this too:
bpaj@gytha:~$ cat /etc/fstab
#
# /etc/fstab
#
# You should be using fstool (control-panel) to edit this!
#

/dev/hda3 / ext2 defaults 1 1
/dev/hda1 /dos/C vfat defaults 1 4
/dev/hdb1 /dos/D vfat defaults 1 4
/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom ignore ro 0 0
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660 ro,noauto,user 0 0
/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy ext2 defaults,noauto,user 1 2
/dev/ram /mnt/ram ext2 defaults,noauto 0 0
/dev/hdb3 /usr ext2 defaults 1 2
/proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hda2 none swap sw
/dev/hdb2 none swap sw

bpaj@gytha:~$ mount /mnt/cdrom
bpaj@gytha:~$ ls /mnt/cdrom/
COPYING bin dosutils lib redhat.pif upgrade
README bootdisk etc mnt rr_moved usr
RPM-PGP-KEY cdrom floppy proc sbin var
RedHat dev image ramdisk tmp
TRANS.TBL doc images redhat.exe trees
bpaj@gytha:~$ fuser /mnt/cdrom/
bpaj@gytha:~$ umount /mnt/cdrom/
umount: /mnt/cdrom mount disagrees with the fstab
bpaj@gytha:~$ su - root
Password:

You have been selected for a secret mission.

root@gytha:~# umount /mnt/cdrom/
root@gytha:~# exit
logout
bpaj@gytha:~$

The CD drive is an IDE NEC-260, and the kernel is pre2.0.8

> mami (manea mirko)

Bryn

--
PGP key pass phrase forgotten,   \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
again :(                          |            initiated.