Re: A little pre-2.0 input

Sun, 26 May 1996 19:07:56 +0100 (BST)

On 25 May 1996, Matthias Urlichs wrote:

> > Don't assume that just because there is no .config, there is no old
> > configuration.
>
> On the contrary. The reasonable way to supply old config to a new kernel is
> to copy .config from old to new, and then run "make oldconfig". I don't
> know why you would want to replace defconfig.

I don't know exactly the reasons behind .config/defconfig both existing,
but I think that defconfig shouldn't be altered ever, and that .config
should be copied to defconfig at a late stage of "make vmlinux" (or some
other target that is done when building vmlinux). Oh well proberbly won't
happen, just my opinion.

> I also don't know why you would want to run "make mrproper" before
> compiling a new kernel. "make clean" should be sufficient. (In theory,
> "touch config.h" should be sufficient.) If not, that's a bug in the
> Makefiles.

"make clean" is sufficient, if the patch dosn't change the dependancies (ie
create new files/delete existing files), other wise a "make dep" is needed.

> Matthias Urlichs

Bryn

--
PGP key pass phrase forgotten,   \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
again :(                          |            initiated.